- Washing Soda
Good news! There is a way to make your own washing soda out of regular baking soda (sodium bicarbonate).
- Preheat your oven to approximately 390° - 400° Fahrenheit. (200° C)
- Pour a box (or a few cups) of baking soda (not baking powder) onto a baking sheet, and put it in the oven.
- Bake the baking soda from 30-60 minutes. I've seen reports of people baking it as little as 30 minutes - and people baking it as long as 2 hours. It doesn't appear that over-baking it is a problem...so I'd recommend 45-60 minutes just to assure that the chemical reaction is completely complete.
- After pulling the baking sheet out of the oven and letting it cool, store the washing soda in aclearly labeled airtight container. The washing soda can "convert" back into baking soda if it's exposed to air.
- Use your washing soda in your homemade laundry soap!
What You Need
- Baking soda
- Baking sheet
- Airtight storage container