Here are a few tips for felting the soap:
Use a good bar of soap that has good lather. If you're making it from scratch, up the coconut or palm kernel oil a bit.
- Don't use a soap that has any flower petals or seeds or other additives in it - it won't hurt anything, they just won't make it through the felt - they'll be left behind.
- For that matter, if you're going to be felting the soap, you don't even have to worry about color at all.
- I'm told by my weaving friend, that Merino Wool works best for felting - but you can basically use any wool roving- or even wool/silk blends. Experiment!
- It will take some experimentation to find the right amount of wool to use to make the thickness of felt that you like.
- Using very hot water seems to speed things along.