And while it is a great kid's project (if carefully supervised), there are lots of fun things that us grown ups can do with sand candles.
For this project, you'll need:
- A large bucket or plastic dishpan. (I prefer a dishpan.)
- Clean sand
- Spray bottle with water
- A jar, glass, votive holder, ball, or other object to use as a form.
- A tablespoon you won't mind getting wax on
- Wax to fill whatever size hole you're going to make - I usually use a pillar blend wax, or just straight paraffin. You don't want to use container wax, it will be too soft.
- Primed wick appropriate for your mold/form - If my mold/form is votive size, I just use a standard zinc core votive wick.
- Dye and/or fragrance, as desired
- Heat gun
- Thorough understanding of Candle Making Safety