The secret is that this finish is actually very easy to achieve. The key is to freeze/chill your molds beforehand, and let the wax cool a bit before you pour it. That's it! The cold mold shocks the wax and produces the rustic effect. You can do it on any candle that is made using a metal mold.
For this project, you'll need:
- Metal pillar or votive molds - either with wick pins (as I'm using) or with a wick setup
- Pillar-blend wax - I'm using IGI4625 - you want a wax that will be more on the translucent side. I've used creamier votive blend waxes (like IGI 4761) - but they don't give the same effect- it's more of an opaque effect (as shown in the purple votives in the pic above)
- Appropriate wicks (I'm using an HTP105 for the pillars and a 44-24-18z for the votives.
- Fragrance and color as desired
- Basic understanding of how to Make a Basic Pillar Candle