The Bottom Line
(From the back cover) "So you've just developed an awesome soap or cosmetic product. You gave it out to friends and family who raved about it and urged you to put it on the market. You checked on what that would take and that's when you hit the wall of rules and regulations. Thud! Does that mean you've hit a dead end? Absolutely not!"
- Very comprehensive, but easy to understand information
- Covers all that most of us need to know - and a lot we didn't think we needed to know
- Easily and clearly organized - an incredible teaching and reference book
- I would have liked to have more illustrations or examples of "correct" and "incorrect" labels
- A wonderful guide through the (often confusing) maze of soap and cosmetic labeling regulations.
- "Getting the labeling right isn't very complicated...but it is very detailed."(Gale) This book makes those details clear.
- Great for beginners OR experts. (I found myself learning lots of little tidbits of information!)
- You can read more about Marie Gale at Marie Gale's Website.
- Quite plainly, if you make and sell your own soap or cosmetics - get this book.
Guide Review - Soap & Cosmetic Labeling by Marie Gale
I only wish I had had this book when I got started!
Gale has done our homework for us and put it all in one place. The book explains, in easy to understand "plain English", how to correctly label everything from soap to lipstick to lotion and more. Marie has digested and compiled the various regulations from:
- Food, Drug & Cosmetic Act
- Fair Product and Labeling Act
- Uniform Weights & Measures Law
- Uniform Packaging and Labeling Regulations
- and even gives links to State Laws
And in addition to all of this information, Gale has added a great appendix of colorant info, measurements, and INCI names - and even more useful - gives owners of the book and online link to receive updates as laws change or are clarified. The links page alone is worth the price of the book!