There are many ingredients you can put in bath salts that will each impart their own qualities:
- salt - (there are many different types from plain salt to dead sea salt to Himalayan salt)
- epsom salt
- milk powder
- baking soda
- moisturizing oils
- essential or fragrance oils
- other botanical additives like flower petals or buds (e.g. chamomile, lavender, rose petals)
Here is a super-simple basic recipe that while not made with exotic, foreign salts, will still make for a wonderful bath.
- 3 cups of epsom salt
- 2 cups of sea salt
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 1/2 ounce of essential or fragrance oil
- Measure out the salts and mix them together well, making sure to break up any clumps. I find that a large, wide, stainless steel bowl works best for blending the salts.
- Add the fragrance or essential oil.
- Mix everything together well.
- Scoop the salts into jars or other air-tight containers.
- Take a bath!