1. Home

David Fisher

A Soap Making Success in Africa

By May 25, 2006

GlobeI've posted lots of articles about successful soap makers who have taken the plunge to grow their soap making habit into a full time business. All kinds of people - men, women, young, old, urban, rural - have found soap making a challenging, but rewarding endeavor. Here's another great article, but this time it's from the other side of the globe, from Kenya, Africa. You could change out the names and places and it would read just like an American success story - the story is the same. Develop a good product that you believe in, know your market, market your product creatively and tirelessly, perservere, take advantage of "breaks", and above all, keep making a quality product. Whether on the Western or Eastern hemisphere, those are the steps to success in this or any business.
Read the Article...

Comments

October 27, 2009 at 5:06 am
(1) Christine Pence says:

Dear Dave,

Could you forward me contact informaton and perhaps a Word version of the article you are citing in your blog entry entitled “A Soap Making Success In Africa” ? I am having trouble accessing the article via the website as my internet link is very slow (I am e-mailing from Kenya, Africa).
I am a nurse working in the Nyalenda slums of Kisumu, Kenya. I hope to set up a hand washing program which will include access to fresh water and soap. As a means of sustainable funding to support this endeavor I am researching the feasibility of a soap making program.
I will be residing in Kenya until April, 2010 and can phone via Skype any afternoon US East Coast time/ evenings Kisumu time. I would very much appreciate your guidance and expertise in soap making, as well as any contact information you may regarding the African program you cite in your blog.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards,

Christine Pence, RN, MSN, OCN
on behalf of the OGRA Foundation

October 30, 2009 at 12:35 am
(2) Anton Dormer says:

My name is Anton Dormer. I am president of a nonprofit biotech company located in South Lancaster. (www.dobitherapeutics.org). I am looking to work with a NGO in African would create a sustainable project that will create jobs and prevent disease. I am also on Skype and would like to speak with Christine Pence. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward in speaking with you in the very near future. Best regards.

February 7, 2010 at 3:58 pm
(3) philips says:

Dear Dave.
am interested in starting a candle making business in nigeria, with a population of over a 120 million and experiencing nationwide power outage, no clear alternative sources of power there has always been a booming business. as there is no determinable date of end to epileptic power supply in nigeria. candle light remains relevant in our daily lives. i will be interested in a simple step by step process of setting up a candle making industry. thanks
philips

March 19, 2011 at 5:59 am
(4) onyango says:

im making soaps in kisumu city kenya using used cooking oils from restaurant i need funding to produce in large scale to sell to community at affordable prices.

August 13, 2011 at 9:26 am
(5) Sadiq says:

I am in TANZANIA, and i want to star the SOAP making.
Can you plz tell me what are the BASIC items/ingredients Ill need to start off ?

Also, onyango can you get in touch we can stay in contact for any advise and help plz ?? my email- turabiturabi@gmail.com

May 4, 2012 at 6:08 am
(6) dinah says:

i learnt to make soap using palm oil and coconut oil. this is not available in east africa. i have tried other formulas, but can never get good enough soap like i did in the west

August 24, 2012 at 8:08 am
(7) Caroline says:

@ dinah coconut is widely available in health u shops and supermarkets the extra virgin solid type.

Also in nairobi and looking to start making soap and the luxury kind using shea butter, coconut oil, tea tree etc for sell locally and overseas but still doing my research on overseas markets.